If you travel a lot and have to deal with unruly hair then this guide will help you find the best travel hair dryer. With so many hair dryers on the market finding the right one may not be as easy as you think. You have to consider your hair needs, your budget and the hair dryer features before arriving at the most suitable hair dryer. In your search, you don’t want to end up with a noisy hair dryer that leaves your hair full of static! You want one that leaves your hair luscious and beautiful.
What to Consider When Buying a Travel Hair Dryer
There are a number of things to consider when buying the best travel blow dryer, some of which include:
- What Is My Hair Type? If you have a clear understanding of your hair type, then you are one step closer to finding the right hair dryer. Generally speaking, a ceramic hair dryer is great for all hair types as it is able to evenly distribute heat. In terms of technology used, Ionic technology works great for different hair types.
- You need multiple heat settings if you have thick or coarse hair; high heat setting for powerful drying and low heat settings for styling
- Make use of a diffuser if you have curly hair-this way, you get to keep your curly definitions and enjoy frizzle-free hair
- Go for a hair dryer that comes with a combination of an ionic generator, ceramic and tourmaline if you have straight hair. In addition, the blow dryer should be able to deliver infrared heat.
- Let’s Talk Budget. Expensive doesn’t necessary translate to good quality. However, a decent warranty does help matters. Carefully read the terms of warranty so you know what you are getting yourself into. You want to spend money on a quality product that will be with you for years down the road. A good warranty should be between 1 and 4 years.
Top 10 Travel Hair Dryers Comparison Table
When looking for the best travel hair dryer, besides the cost, you should consider how easy it will be to use, how comfortable it is to hold and how light weight it is. You should also pay attention to the voltage- you want to be able to use the hair dryer wherever you go.
- Power. Ideally, for most people, wattage between 1,500w and 1,800w will work just fine. The higher the wattage the faster hair will dry thanks to the high heat produced. Most travel hair dryers however do come with relatively low wattages.
Keep in mind your hair type as you consider how much power the dryer packs. You don’t need a high watt dryer unless you have thick or coarse hair or you simply wish to damage your hair with too much heat.
- Attachments. Knowing your hair type and needs will help you decide which attachments you should have with your hair dryer. If you have curly hair, then having a diffuser is important. This way, you get to do away with frizz and tangled hair. Go for a concentrator nozzle if you wish to focus the airflow in one spot.
- Weight. The less weight it packs, the better the hair dryer. Most lightweight models weigh in at around 500g but you should factor in the hair dryer’s functionality before purchasing. After all, you don’t want to end up with a hair dryer that is not functional.
- Noise Level. You want a hair dryer that is as quiet as possible as you work on your hair. Go for one that has an alternative current (AC) motor as these tend to be on the quiet side. Hair dryers with direct current motors (DC) give off plenty of noise!
- Temperature Controls. Go for a hair dryer that comes with temperature controls. This way, you get to set how much heat you need depending on your hair type and styling needs.
- Dual Voltage Is Very, Very Important. Never forget about the dual voltage future if you are looking for the best travel hair dryer. This is because dual voltage hair dryers do work internationally. In order to use the dryer internationally, you can also buy a standard adapter or converter.
- Should You Pay Attention to Technology?
- Ceramic Technology. Helps control the heat of your blow dryer so that the heat is evenly distributed.
- Tourmaline. Is great for smoothing your hair by sealing the cuticle and helping retain moisture.
- Infrared Technology. Does help provide consistent heat that helps evenly dry hair while at the same time helping prevent sections of the scalp from drying out or overheating.
- Ionic Technology. On the other hand comes with negative ions that help smooth hair and decrease its drying.
- The Cool Shot Feature. The cool shot feature is essential for switching over to cool hair when the hair is mostly dry thus helping seal the cuticle and provide better shine and long-lasting hold.
Top 3 Best Travel Hair Dryer Reviews
The RUSK W8less hairdryer is hands down one of the best hair dryers on the market. Not only is it easy to use but it is also lightweight (only 1 pound) and comes with far-infrared rays that help dry the hair from the inside out through the penetration of the outer cuticle of the hair.
You get two impressive technologies-ceramic and tourmaline- in one product and you get to enjoy 7 heat and speed settings!
It is on the quiet side and comes with multiple settings inclusive of the cool shot feature.
The Vidal Sasson Turbo dryer with its lightweight and compact design is another wonderful dryer for travel. It is easy to use and comes with 2 heat and speed settings. It does come with a hanging ring for easy storage.
You get to enjoy a firm grip as you maneuver the hair dryer thanks to the protective anti-slip bumpers that are included.
When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, the end cap can be removed for easy cleaning.
Great care must have been put on the xtava ALLURE Jet set. It does have everything that you may need from a travel hair dryer. You get to enjoy a lightweight hair dryer that comes with a mini diffuser and concentrator nozzle.
This dryer does come with dual voltage (110-120/ 220-240v) and as if that is not enough you also get to enjoy the universal wall adapter that is thrown into the package.
If you are one of those people that simply hate to pack your hair dryer with your clothes then you will love the stylish bag that it comes with. In short, with this hair dryer, you get to enjoy beautiful hair on the go!