Dreadlocks can be one of the most difficult hairstyles to care for, and the hardest step can be finding the best shampoo for dreads. You want to find a balance between something that’s going to clean your hair deeply without stripping it.
The most important thing you’re going to look for is anything that won’t soften your hair and cause you to lose your dreads. Dreadlocks require very specific conditions for them to be maintained, and we’re here to give you a roundup of all you need to keep your dreads in check!
Top 10 Shampoos for Dreads Table
|Picture||Name||Additional Benefits||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Additional Benefits||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soap - Almond 32oz ||Multi-Purpose||$$||4.7|
|2. Dollylocks 12oz Tea Tree Spearmint Liquid Dreadlock Shampoo ||Hypo-Allergenic, pH Balanced||$$$||4.4|
|3. Healthy Hair Plus ANTI-b Antibacterial Shampoo (12oz) Antimicrobial/Antifungal Formula ||Antibacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-Fungal||$$||4.3|
|4. Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp Care with Eucalyptus Anti-Dandruff Shampoo 13.5 Fl Oz ||Anti-Dandruff||$||4.3|
|5. Knotty Boy Dreadlock Shampoo 8oz ||Multi-Purpose, Biodegradable/Non-Toxic||$$||4.3|
|6. Ultrax Labs Hair Surge | Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo||Stimulates Hair Growth||$$$$||4.3|
|7. Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo, 16 Ounce ||Controls Fizz, Moisture Balance||$||4.3|
|8. Knatty Dread Dreadlocks Shampoo ||Unscented, Tightens Dreadlocks||$$$||4.3|
|9. Bewild Dread Head - Dreadlock Soap||Tightens Dreadlocks||$$$||4.1|
|10. Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo, 8 Ounce ||Massages Scalp, Relieves Itching, Removes Buildup||$||4.1|
What Your Dreadlocks Need
Whenever considering taking on dreadlocks, you may find that your biggest concern is how to care for them. Dreads are extremely difficult to maintain. You want to grow healthy dreadlocks, and you don’t want them to lose their shape. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to keep your dreads in perfect shape.
- Have a Guide. When it comes to starting out with dreadlocks, you want to make sure that you find a good locktician. A locktician is someone that can give you some tips and tricks on how to maintain your dreads. This can be someone that has dreads themselves and is experienced on the best way to care for them.
- Massaging Is Key. With dreads, you want to stimulate hair growth to keep them getting longer and longer. The best way to achieve this is simply to massage your scalp to get the blood flow going and to stimulate hair growth!
- Protect Your Dreads. Now, this is especially important when it comes to sleeping. You want to make sure to wrap your hair up with a scarf or anything to help protect your scalp and edges. Dreads can shed a lot, so you want to avoid that, and avoid it having any direct contact with your pillow which will cause friction.
- Keep It Tight & Right. Keeping your dreadlocks residue free is the best way to keep them as tight as possible. That is why it’s so important for you to wash it regularly with the right shampoos. You need a simple shampoo that isn’t going to leave any residue behind.
Scented shampoos are most commonly known for leaving a residue, that’s how that smell lasts after all! This residue build up can cause some itching as well as making it harder for the dreads to remain tight.
- Anti-Bacterial. A great tip can be to use anti-bacterial soaps or shampoos on your hair, or anything that deeply cleanses your hair. It’s very common to get a dry and itchy scalp when having dreadlocks!
Top 3 Best Shampoo for Dreads Reviews
A multi-purpose soap like Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Liquid Soap is an ideal option for dreadlocks. This simple formula is perfect for thoroughly cleansing your hair without overly softening it and without stripping it.
The formula contains some amazing natural ingredients and oils which work to give your hair the nutrition it needs to grow and remain healthy, while still keeping your dreads tight and not leave behind residue.
What’s so amazing about this is also that it uses natural ingredients to give this a scent. We mentioned previously that you want to avoid scents because of the residue it leaves behind, but with this soap, you can get a lovely almond scent without the residue.
Dr. Bronner’s truly is the best shampoo for dreads; it gives them the cleanse they need while keeping them tight and intact. It doesn’t hurt that you can use this soap for everything else too!
Dollylocks’ Liquid Dreadlock Shampoo is specifically formulated to treat dreadlocks the way they need to be treated. This weightless formula leaves your scalp feeling refreshed and clean and gives your dreads the care they need.
This shampoo is specifically formulated without any ingredients that threaten to leave behind residue. It works to get your hair so clean and free of oils that your hair will naturally dread and tighten faster than normal.
It is hypoallergenic and pH-balanced which makes it a very gentle but also thoroughly cleansing shampoo. The cooling mint this contains feels very refreshing on your scalp and extremely itch-relieving.
The coolness of the mint also works to help stimulate hair growth! This shampoo is formulated in a way that tends specifically to help grow and tighten dreadlocks while deeply cleaning the hair and helping out with some dreadlock side effects- it really does it all!
As we mentioned earlier, one of the biggest things you should tend to when pursuing dreadlocks is to fight off bacteria. Dreads can be very unhygienic, and it is important to tend to that for the sake of tighter dreads as well as a healthier scalp.
The Healthy Hair Plus ANTI-b Shampoo does just that! This powerful formula contains amazing ingredients such as Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel that work to combat inflammation and to inhibit bacteria growth.
It has a very light fragrance which works to avoid leaving behind any residue. However, what really makes this the best shampoo for dreads is its ability to help relieve itching while fighting off bacteria.