Wondering what you should be looking for in a good hair dryer? Or, maybe you’re curious whether those fancy settings and numerous attachments are really worth the extra spend. If you’re shopping for the best professional hair dryer to use in your business or one to give you fabulous salon results at home, this review is for you.
We’ve gone through a pretty exhaustive line-up of the models available and have put together a top 10 list based on our findings. Plus, the five highest-ranked professional blow dryers on our list get a little extra attention with in-depth reviews of each.
Let’s kick things off, however, with a look at some features that spanking new hair dryer of yours should have.
What Are Some Features of a Professional Hair Dryer?
Before you start hair dryer shopping, you should familiarize yourself with some of the more common terms you are likely to come across.
- Ionic Technology. This creates negative ions which are effective at breaking up water molecules, leading to even distribution of moisture and to faster drying.
- Ceramic Technology. A ceramic heating element heats up more evenly and faster than metal-based ones do. It generates infrared heat which causes less damage to hair.
- Power and Settings. The hair dryer’s power rating is an indication of how hot it can get. You’ll want more than just heat, however, so look for a hair dryer that offers a cool air setting to help lock in styles.
- Concentrator Nozzle. This attachment directs a concentrated flow of air right where you need it. It also ensures your hair is never too close to the blow dryer’s heating element.
- Diffuser. It has an attachment that softens the air flow, making it less intense. It’s handy for drying and maintaining curls as well as for reducing frizz.
Top 10 Professional Hair Dryers Chart
How to Get the Most out of Your Professional Hair Dryer
When you get right down to it, it’s all a matter of technique. How you use your hair dryer, along with your other styling products, will ultimately determine whether you achieve the look you’re after.
- Moderate the Heat. Higher heat settings can easily damage thin, flyaway hair. While persons with thicker hair are at less risk, everyone should be cautious about the amount of heat you expose to your hair.
- Invest in a Quality Heat Protectant. Intense heat can do real damage to your hair. Before blow drying, apply a heat protectant so that your hair will not just be dry and styled, but stronger and healthier, too.
- Get Your Angles Right. For the best results and to minimize damage to your hair, work with the hair dryer held horizontal and the brush vertical (that is, at right angles to each other).
- Do Hair in Sections. Don’t try to blow dry all of your hair at once. Instead, separate your hair into smaller sections and dry them individually. Doing so, will cut the total drying time and reduce heat exposure for each section of your hair.
- Be Gentle to Your Hair. No pulling and tugging, please! Remember that wet hair is weak, so even if you are using the best professional hair dryer, you’ll still need to be gentle to prevent breakage and split ends. Use a detangler, if needs be, to help loosen knots in your hair.
- How You Finish Is Important. Leaving your hair slightly damp will help to prevent frizziness. You can also apply a healing serum to your hair to help soothe it once blow drying is done.
Top 5 Best Professional Hair Dryer Reviews
An AC motor and Turbo Balancing Technology are just a couple of the features that get the AsaVea Hair dryer Pro AC motor Ionic fast 1875W Long Life blow dryer pride of place on our list. What else does the best professional blow dryer have to offer? Let’s take a look!
Weighing just over one pound, the AsaVea Hair dryer Pro is definitely lightweight, allowing you to go long hours drying clients’ hair knowing that hand fatigue won’t be a problem anytime soon. Also, it uses both ionic and ceramic technology to leave you with smooth, shiny and health-looking hair.
Its powerful motor significantly cuts drying time so that you can get through more drying and styling sessions in a shorter space of time. Although it is powerful, the AsaVea Hair dryer Pro operates at a much lower noise level than similar hair dryers.
Other features that caught our eye with this blow dryer are the 3-heat and 2-speed settings; concentrator nozzle; 6-foot cord; hanging ring for out-of-the-way storage, and overheating protection system.
What’s in the box? When you unbox the JINRI JRI-104A, you’ll be pleased to see a sleek blow dryer with a 9-foot professional cord. That means your clients won’t have to be pressed up against a wall socket because you are being restricted by cord length.
The dryer also comes with three very handy attachments: a concentrator nozzle, a comb nozzle, and a diffuser. It gives you the choice of 3-heat and 2-speed settings so you can dry and style with ease and flexibility. By using infrared heating technology, the JINRI 1875w Professional Salon Hair Dryer, Negative Ionic Hair Blow Dryer gentle heats your hair but gets it dry in less time than conventional hair dryers.
We like that this blow dryer is designed with a double safety net air filter which also prevents hair from being accidentally drawn into the dryer. The filter is easily removed so you can clean it when needed to help keep your blow dryer as hygienic as possible.
The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Portofino Full-Size Dryer has a powerful Italian motor and is designed with both ionic and Nano titanium technology. All of these help to ensure that heat is evenly distributed through the airflow so that hair dries quickly and efficiently.
To assist with drying and styling, this professional blow dryer comes with three concentrator nozzles and a diffuser. It also gives you the flexibility of choosing from any of its six settings, so your clients end up with hair that is both soft and shiny without leaving their hair excessively dry or burning their scalp.
We were attracted to its sleek, ergonomic design that is actually perfect for people with smaller hands but still feels quite comfortable if your hands happen to be larger. The cool air setting is also a major plus, especially since you still get a powerful stream of air even on that setting.
“Turbo” is in this hair dryer’s name for a good reason – it may be small and lightweight, but its 1900-watt motor provides all the power you need. With the Twin Turbo 3200 Ceramic and Ionic Professional Hair Dryer, you get exactly what you are looking for in the best professional hair dryer.
The dryer offers four temperature settings and has an instant cold air feature. Plus, you can select from two speed settings according to the style you are after or how quickly you wish to dry hair. The Twin Turbo 3200 Ceramic and Ionic Professional Hair Dryer also comes with a concentrator nozzle to add to your styling options.
Rounding out its design, this blow dryer has an anti-overheating feature for safety, and its stainless steel filter is removable for easy cleaning.
Ceramic tourmaline and ionic technologies are prominent features of the ProDryer Professional Ionic Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer. They allow you to dry hair fast while leaving it shiny, silky and without frizz.
Although this blow dryer comes without a diffuser, we like that it does include two concentrator nozzles. Plus, you are also able to choose from its Hot Blast, Cool Drying, Hot Drying and Slow Drying settings to increase your styling options.
Ergonomically, the ProDryer Professional Ionic Tourmaline Ceramic Hair Dryer is lightweight and has an easy-hold grip. The 9-foot cord ensures maneuverability without you getting all tangled up in a too-long cord. This heavy-duty dryer also has an easy-to-clean, removable air filter.