Are you trying to give your hair the heathy boost it deserves? Whether you wear your hair gloriously natural or wonderfully relaxed, the best leave in conditioner for black hair certainly won’t leave you disappointed.
Having to wade through all the available options for leave in conditioners can be a real drag, however. (We know – we’ve been through a ton of them!) What we’ve proudly come up with is a list of the top 10 choices sure to be a real treat for your hair.
This review also focuses on the top 3 products and gives you some valuable tips on how to shop for leave in conditioners. Let’s begin, though, with a look at some leave in conditioner benefits.
What Benefits Will You Get from an Awesome Leave in Conditioner for Black Hair?
The reality is that left on its own; your hair doesn’t really stand a chance. From wind and sun damage outdoors, to dry AC air indoors, to heated styling tools – your hair has a lot to contend with. Here’s how leave in conditioners can help:
- They Keep Hair Supple, Moisturized and Hydrated. Their humectants attract moisture and hold it to each strand. Hair is left softer, more flexible and less likely to go frizzy.
- Leave in Conditioners Detangle with a Lightweight Formula. The texture of each strand is softened and knots are smoothed for quick release (without the heavy build-up rinse out versions tend to leave behind).
- They Prepare Hair for Styling. They form a protective barrier against heat and add shine to styled hair. Split ends are smoothed out, and hair becomes less susceptible to breakage during styling.
- They Strengthen and Nourish Hair. Their proteins help to fortify your hair as they are absorbed into each hair shaft. Many contain important nutrients from ingredients such as jojoba, coconut, shea butter, aloe vera, and avocado.
Top 10 Leave in Conditioners for Black Hair Chart
Features of a Leave in Conditioner for Black Hair
Ultimately, the leave in conditioner that will work best for you will depend on several factors, most important being your hair type.
- Curly Hair. Thick, creamy formulas provide curly hair with sufficient moisture while detangling and softening curls. The best leave in conditioner for natural hair for African American men and women with intensely curly hair will add natural oils to boost those that can’t make their way from the roots to the ends of your hair. Glycerin and castor oil in leave in conditioners work overtime at keeping curly hair moisturized.
- Fine, Thin Hair. A clear, liquid leave in conditioner will work best as creamier versions may prove too thick for this type of hair, weighing it down and making it look flat. Look for a product that is lightweight, water-based and preferably, one you can spray on.
- Extra Dry Hair. Hair that’s prone to being dry and frizzy will need long-lasting hydration. Select creamy leave in conditioners made with natural oils which will soften your hair while neutralizing static.
- Oily Hair. You’ll definitely need a lightweight leave in conditioner here that will not add to the greasiness of your hair. Since your hair may not be oily all over (in some cases it’s more an issue of having an oily scalp), you may need separate products to deal with the different sections of your hair.
- Color-Treated Hair. Leave in conditioners for color-treated hair will normally have phrases like “color care,” “color safe,” “color extend” or “sulfate-free” on their packaging. Be sure to match the leave-in conditioner’s color to your hair dye as most of these products deposit small amounts of color on your hair each time you use them.
- Over-Processed or Damaged Hair. Look for a leave in conditioner with keratin or one that has naturally powerful ingredients like argan oil, coconut oil, and shea butter. Each of these will help to repair and strengthen damaged strands of hair.
Top 3 Best Leave in Conditioner for Black Hair Reviews
It’s A 10 Leave-In Conditioner Plus Keratin has some amazing good-for-your-hair stuff in it, which is probably why it works so well for different hair types. Among the ingredients that help to put it at the top of our list is the well-known and effective strengthener, Panthenol (a provitamin of B5).
This leave in conditioner also contains sunflower seed extract, which is said to act as a natural sunscreen and protect hair color from fading. Furthermore, the formula for It’s A 10 Leave-In Conditioner Plus Keratin has green tea extract to supply hair with antioxidants and shield it from environmental damage.
For improving your hair’s shine and beauty, our top pick for the best leave in conditioner for black hair uses silk amino acids and citric acid. Both of these ingredients will also help to strengthen hair.
There were 3 things we found especially pleasurable about It’s A 10 Leave-In Conditioner Plus Keratin. First, is how easily it detangles hair and second, how well it manages to keep frizziness at bay. The third high point of this leave in conditioner is that you only need to use a small (pea-sized) amount to get favorable results.
Our second placed pick for the best leave in conditioner for black hair actually works very well with all hair types including natural hair. It’s good to know that this very effective leave in condition is paraben-free, instead of using citrus protein, along with vitamins B3 and B6, to keep hair moisturized and healthy.
The Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream makes the claim that it keeps hair looking sleek for up to three days. That powerful action can be attributed to the inclusion of Moroccan argan oil and apricot in its formulation.
In terms of fragrance, the Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream has a light, fruity smell that most people should find very pleasant.
The As I Am Leave In Conditioner needs to be added liberally to your hair, but the 8-ounce bottle will still go a long way. This conditioner is a good choice for natural and naturally curly hair. Its lightweight formula won’t drag your hair down. Instead, we noticed that it quickly detangles hair, leaving it with quite a bit of delightful bounce in the process.
Other pluses we found with the As I Am Leave In Conditioner were its powerful moisture retention ability and how soft it makes hair feel. Those properties may be attributed to its shea butter and coconut oil. The sugar beetroot, lemon, apple, and sugar cane in its formula are possibly behind why it smells so much like deliciously sweet candy – but not in an overpowering or off-putting way.