If you want healthy, beautiful hair then you should consider including deep conditioning in your hair care regime. Hair is subjected to plenty of stress thanks to things such as styling, treatments, weather or brushing. The best deep conditioner will not only add extra moisture to your hair but will give it a nice healthy shine!
A good deep conditioner is nutrient-rich and is packed with essential vitamins to promote healthy, shiny hair. Unfortunately there are so many ‘deep conditioners’ on the market which make finding the right one for your hair type tricky. Luckily, this guide will provide you wish useful pointers to get the searching ball rolling.
Things to Consider
When it comes to conditioners, you should know that there are plenty of them out there. There are leave-in conditioners, regular conditioners and deep conditioners. Each conditioner is designed to serve a specific purpose in your hair care regime. As such, it pays to understand why you need a given conditioner and when you should use it for best results.
Let’s have a brief look at each:
- Deep conditioner is great for adding intense moisture to the hair, which moisture penetrates deep into the hair fiber. Such conditioners are best used weekly for dry damaged hair, or bi-weekly/ monthly for other circumstances. As a tip, you should consider using heat if you wish to up the moisture-boosting process.
- Leave-in conditioners, as the name suggests, are left in the hair after application-no washing off is required. Such conditioners are great for retaining moisture in the hair for longer. They are also perfect for easing up the styling process.
- Regular conditioners are applied after shampooing as they help restore moisture at that point. They help with detangling and adhere to the hair fiber for better looking hair that is great to touch.
- When searching for conditioners for relaxed hair, you should generally consider more protein treatments compared to moisture-based conditioners.
- When searching for conditioners for your locks, you should steer clear of heavier oil based conditioners as such conditioners are difficult to rinse.
Top 10 Deep Conditioners Ultimate Table
Types of Deep Conditioners
There are two types of deep conditioners: Protein and moisture.
Protein-based conditioners are great for strengthening the hair, equalizing porosity, improving elasticity, improving hair appearance as well as adding body. You should consider using protein-based conditioners if you have damaged hair.
Moisture-based deep conditioners are great for adding moisture to the hair thereby leaving it soft.
Ideally, you need both for healthy, shiny hair that is free from damage. In order to balance the two, you should consider alternating between a protein-based conditioner and a moisture-based one on a weekly basis.
Tips to Finding the Right Deep Conditioner at a Glance!
Taking a close look at the ingredients will help you find the best deep conditioner:
- Look out for ingredients such as vitamins E, B and D.
- For added moisture and shine, ingredients such as keratin and Shea butter should definitely be included!
Why You Should Consider Deep Conditioning
There are a number of benefits to deep conditioning which include:
- Helps keep the hair soft and strong.
- Helps promote healthy hair which encourages growth.
- Helps add body and life to hair.
- Helps prevent breakage, damage, split ends and dryness.
- When protein-based conditioners are used with moisture-based one, the hair gets a good balance.
Ingredients to Consider
When searching for the best deep conditioner, it should include ingredients such as oils, emollients, cationic polymers, cationic surfactant as well as silicones. In order to be effective it should also include hydrolyzed protein and sealing ingredients.
Hydrolyzed protein is simply protein that has been broken down and made small enough to fit in small spaces between the hair’s cuticles. They are designed to easily absorb into the cortex. Such proteins are essential for injecting the much needed proteins to your hair in order to improve your hair’s length retention.
A strand of hair is made up of at least 90% keratin protein. Unfortunately, thanks to daily combing and styling keratin is gradually chipped away from the hair. When keratin is not replaced, the hair tends to break as fast as it grows.
A deep conditioner with good sealants such as petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil, shea butter, Dimethicone, soybean oil and Phenyl Trimethicone makes for stronger, well moisturized hair.
The Right Deep Conditioner for Different Hair Types
- If you have fine hair then you should opt for keratin conditioners that are made of proteins to help strengthen hair minus adding weight. You should steer clear of oil-based deep conditioners. Such hair types can benefit from deep conditioning at least once a week.
- If you have thick/ coarse hair then you should opt for conditioners rich in oils or shear butter. Go for conditioners rich in shear butter or oils such as sunflower, olive or avocado oil. Such oils help restore moisture to thick/ coarse hair which tends to get dry and brittle.
- If you have fine curly hair then you should opt for protein-based keratin treatment once a week. If you have thick curly hair on the other hand then you should go for conditioners rich in Shea butter and fine silicones such as dimethicone which will help soften the hair and add shine to it.
- If you have color-treated hair then you should consider acidic treatments which are normally found in sulfate-free formulations.
Top 5 Best Deep Conditioner Reviews
If you are looking for soft, silky hair that is easy to manage then you should consider Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Mask. This conditioner is especially great for dry and damaged hair and will help restore it to a healthy look. Dull and dry hair will soon be a thing of the past when this conditioner is used.
It is suitable for all hair types inclusive of curly, natural and permed. It is rich in essential vitamins and nutrients and will also help protect and shield the hair from damage caused by heat styling. With this product, you get to enjoy great smelling hair that is good to the touch. With it you get a product that not only deep conditions but hydrates and moisturizes as well.
The Brazillian Blowout Conditioning Masque is perfect for giving lift, shine and volume to hair, especially fine hair. It is uniquely designed to smooth and condition the hair while at the same time infusing the much needed moisture. This paraben-free product is color-safe and offers UVA/ UVB protection in addition to promoting shine.
If you have colored or relaxed hair then you will appreciate the formulation of the Brazilian Blowout as it will make your hair feel silky and healthy. You hair will be left soft and tangle-free minus affecting the color just in case you have colored hair.
This creamy, rich intense conditioning formula not only reconstructs the hair but also strengthens it while leaving it smooth. It is specially formulated to repair and fortify the hair while at the same time eliminating frizz and promoting shine.
If you have frizzy hair then you will love Pantene Smooth and Sleek. This product is a wonderful conditioner for frizzy hair and will ensure that your hair stays smooth for 24 hours. And the beauty of it is that it will only take 3 minutes of your time!
It is the perfect companion for really dry, thirsty hair and will soon leave such hair well moisturized with a wonderful shine.
If you are on the clumsy side then you will appreciate the flip top cap that comes with this product. The texture is slightly thicker than regular conditioner and it feels slimy and slippery. At 6 Oz you may be forgiven if you think that this product will not go a long way but you will be surprised! Thanks to its texture, you only need to apply a small amount on damp hair and it will spread easily.
It has a nice fragrance and gives food moisture to the hair.
Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask is a unique ultra light-non greasy conditioner that will add the much needed moisture to your hair. It can be used on all hair types and helps restore shine to hair. It will take away your dry, frizzy hair and leave you with amazingly silky soft hair.
You don’t require heat to make this mask effective; all you have to do is let it sit on your hair for approximately 10 minutes before rinsing. With it, you hair’s elasticity will be restored and its shine will come back.
This nice and creamy conditioner smells great and will leave your hair feeling hydrated and healthy. It works well with color-treated hair in addition to all other hair types and you should notice wonderful results after just the first treatment.
On the downside though, much as it is suitable for all hair types, there are complaints of its being non-responsive to thin hair.
You should consider Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner if you have curly hair that you wish to detangle and leave soft. This conditioner does have good slip, gives good curl definition and frizz control while adding shine. It helps transform style-stubborn hair into easy to manage hair thanks to its great detangling capabilities.
It doesn’t wear the hair down and comes with a wonderful scent. You will not need many hours off your day just to detangle those stubborn knots; most people agree that a few minutes will do just fine as Mixed Chicks does work wonders in this department!
You will love this conditioner if you have very dry hair.