Curly hair can be both a blessing and a curse. As much as you love your hair and the compliments it brings, you know very well that it’s not easy to tame it and keep it looking healthy. Don’t spend enough time nurturing it, and your locks will go from nicely defined to overused mop faster than you can say “defined curls.” You know what we mean: your hair becomes dry, brittle, dull and frizzy.
You need a curl cream and not just any product, but the best curl defining cream for your needs. How do you find it?
Here are some tips.
What to Consider before Buying a Curl Defining Cream
Before getting into the specifics, here’s what you need to consider when looking for the best curl cream.
- Curling Cream vs. Curling Gel. Don’t think of curl defining cream as a styling product, but more of a hair care product. Don’t use it if you want a strong hold, as it is designed to give elasticity and moisture. For a strong hold, you should opt for gel or mousse.
- Take Your Hair Type into Consideration. If you want a curl defining cream that will make your hair look soft, healthy, and shiny, then make sure to choose one that tends to your hair type’s needs.
- For coarse, curly hair, thick creams work best.
- Medium/normal curly hair can take heavier products but in moderation.
- Fine curly hair works best with leave-in products and milky creams.
Top 10 Curl Defining Creams Table
Consider What Your Curls Need
Shopping for curl defining products might seem impossible. You need a product that adds definition without leaving any residue or making your strands look brittle. One of the best ways to go about this gargantuan task is to consider your curls’ needs. Here’s how:
- Texture and Volume. Make sure that the cream you’re using isn’t weighing your hair down, but it helps to define your wavy hair. After all, you want to add texture to your locks, not camouflage them.
- Define and Control. Look for products that are long lasting and moisturizing enough to turn your tangled mess into curls softer than a bunny’s tail.
- Shine. If frizz is what’s bothering you, then look for a product that will allow you to go outside when it’s humid without looking like a giant cotton ball. A flexible formula will make it easy to manipulate your locks and give them that perfect finishing touch.
Top 3 Best Curl Defining Cream Reviews
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk is the overall highest rated curl defining cream you can find right now.
This styling milk contains a nourishing cocktail of natural ingredients, such as organic shea butter, coconut oil, and sweet Hibiscus that protect your hair against damage and breakage, making it more elastic and resistant to moisture and frizz. It is a light, leave-in cream that you can use every day. Its consistency will not only help those with thick, wavy hair tame their mane, but it also ideal for fine, curly hair. That’s because it doesn’t weigh down the hair, but helps you keep its definition.
The results are frizz-free, elastic, bouncy and shiny curls. Not to mention, it smells amazing, and you will love feeling its fragrance throughout the day. Coconut and Hibiscus is a warm, sweet combination that it’s not too overbearing.
If you’re looking for a product to will leave your hair shiny, bouncy and frizz-free, then Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk is the best curl defining cream for your needs.
This curl defining cream from Maroccanoil is a must-try if you’re looking for a product that is sulfate, paraben, and phosphate free. Not only will it tame your mane and make your curls softer than cotton candy, but it’s also color-safe.
The advanced formula with heated-activated technology will activate a curl memory factor that ensures your hair will stay bouncy and frizz-free for the entire day. Due to its argan oil and protein ingredients, this amazing cream will make it easy to detangle and tame your curls.
If you’re looking for a curl defining cream that controls frizz and keeps moisture locked in, then look no further than Maroccanoil.
This styling cream contains jojoba oil and tapioca starch, two key ingredients that provide hydration and coat the strands with a protective layer that gives texture and volume.
What you will love about DevaCurl is that it doesn’t matter if you’re applying it to damp or dry hair; it will tame and add definition to your curls either way. Due to the tapioca starch, DevaCurl is more effective at styling than other curl defining products without making your hair look brittle or feel crunchy.
The packaging is fun, lime green and easy to grip. The dosage system makes the product easy to use, at least after a few tries. It has a fruity smell that will remind you of Skittles – or that’s what we thought. And, best of all, you don’t have to apply a lot of product to style your hair.
Nourishing, protective, and affordable, DevaCurl is an excellent addition to your hair care routine.