Soft, silky, smooth hair doesn’t only look good – it’s also much more manageable. Unfortunately, achieving this ideal hair texture doesn’t always come naturally. More often than not, our hair becomes frizzy and dry especially when we don’t use the right products to take care of it.
If you struggle with hair that’s difficult to manage, there’s a simple and easy solution – hair conditioner. These products were formulated to make hair more manageable by hydrating and nourishing each strand. Are you in the market to find the best conditioner for natural hair? Here, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide and a list of the best conditioners to help you find the right one for your hair.
Top 10 Conditioners for Natural Hair Chart
Conditioner Considerations – How to Choose the One
Choosing the best conditioner for natural hair depends on how well you can identify a viable choice for your specific needs. Because each person’s hair is different, not all conditioners will work the same way.
Don’t let the flashy, fancy packaging get the best of you. There’s more to choosing conditioner than deciding based on what’s readily seen. Consider these factors before making a choice so you don’t end up making second trips to the store.
- Formulation. The ingredients included in your chosen conditioner will tell you what it can and can’t do for your hair. While the goal of every conditioner is to give hair a better, more manageable texture, they can also target other issues. These can range from brittle hair, to dullness, and even splint ends.
Here’s a list of the most common ingredients found in hair conditioners and what they’re for:
- Panthenol. Panthenol is an ingredient you’re likely to find listed in a variety of skin and hair care products. This ingredient aims to moisturize each strand of hair, and locks in hydration to keep hair healthy and strong.
- Shea Butter. Considered one of the most powerful moisturizing ingredients known to man, shea butter is able to deeply penetrate into dry and dull hair to smoothen out kinks and bring out a healthy shine. It also helps nourish follicles to strengthen hair strands.
- Argan Oil. This essential oil softens hair, making it easier to style and to groom. It also infuses each hair strand with essential micronutrients to strengthen and reinforce.
- Jojoba Oil. Jojoba oil, when used as a conditioner, strips hair of excess sebum. This extra cleanse keeps both hair and scalp healthy while encouraging hair growth.
- Hair Type. What’s your hair type? Determining where you fall on the hair type spectrum will make it much easier for you to find the best conditioner for your needs.
For example, dry hair types may benefit more from deeply hydrating conditioners that penetrate into the scalp and hair to infuse moisture. These products can produce significant change after the first use and help make hair more silky and shiny.
If you already have naturally oily hair however, you will want to buy a conditioner that doesn’t infuse moisture. Instead, a conditioner that simply helps address the texture of the hair to maintain manageability should be your best option.
- Synthetic vs. Natural. While both these types of formulations offer benefits for the right kinds of users, there are some who might need to consider one over the other for a few reasons.
Synthetic hair conditioners are often deep penetrating and long lasting, which makes them ideal if you intend to stay out for long periods of time. However, people with sensitive scalps might experience some side effects when using synthetic formulations.
Natural hair conditioners are much less likely to produce side effects, and often, they’re just as effective as synthetics. The only issue with these formulations is that they might not offer the same fragrant properties or the long lasting effects that synthetic options provide.
Top 3 Best Conditioner for Natural Hair Reviews
When it comes to hair care products, very few have the same popularity and reputation as Pantene. This brand has been on the market for years and many of their products have been dubbed the best conditioner for natural hair.
Among all of their formulations however, the Pantene Pro-V Moisture Renewal Hydrating Conditioner proves to be the most beneficial. This deeply hydrating formula locks in moisture and keeps hair manageable, strong, and easy to style.
The formula boasts a unique Moisture-Silk Complex that combines some of the most powerful moisturizing ingredients to achieve optimal strength against damage. So with just a single use every day, you can enjoy flawlessly smooth and silky hair for easy maintenance and superior styling.
The Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner promises 100% softness in just one wash, making it one of the fastest acting conditioners on the market. So if you need smooth, silky, easy-to-style hair stat – this one is the best conditioner for natural hair.
The formulation contains lots of powerful moisturizing ingredients, including Hawaiian coconut and orchid, which also add a very pleasant scent. The only real drawback is that it may be difficult to wash off, making oily hair feel even slicker after each use.
TRESemme is another popular brand in the hair care product industry. Their TRESemme Smooth & Silky Conditioner is another prime product if you’re in the market for the best conditioner.
This formulation prides itself in its ability to calm frizz and flyways by nourishing the hair from root to tip. It’s also been formulated to prevent hair from getting too heavy so you can enjoy a natural, wavy bounce that truly brings out vibrant life.
Effective and nourishing, there’s only one downside to the TRESemme Smooth & Silky Conditioner. That is, some users have pointed out that the scent may be too overwhelming especially for individuals who are particularly sensitive to potent fragrances that don’t fade after washing.